- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 large egg, yolk and white separated
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp ice-cold water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- finely grated zest of 3 limes
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, from about 5 limes
- 4 large eggs
- 5 kiwis, peeled and sliced
Make the dough:
- Measure the flour, sugar, and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Sprinkle butter over top and pulse until the butter pieces are no bigger than lentils.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolk (be sure to reserve the white for the next step!), vanilla, and water.
- Sprinkle over the flour mixture and pulse a few times until mixture starts to form large clumps.
- Dump onto a parchment-paper-lined counter and gently press the dough together until it is cohesive.
- Form into a disk shape, wrap up in the parchment paper and refrigerate at least 30 minutes (or up to 2 days).
Make the curd:
- To make the curd, bring the sugar, butter, lime zest and juice to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a bowl, lightly whisk the eggs.
- Very slowly (a tiny bit at a time) stream about half the hot lime mixture into the eggs while whisking constantly, then slowly whisk this egg mixture back into the remaining lime mixture in the saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Press through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl, then chill completely (either by stirring it over an ice bath, or by refrigerating at least 2 hours).
Bake the dough:
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Roll the dough between two layers of parchment paper into a 12" circle and transfer to a 9 1/2" tart pan, gently pressing into bottom and up sides.
- Line with parchment paper and fill with pie weights (or dry beans).
- Blind bake the tart shell on the bottom oven rack for about 15 minutes, until it starts to look dry, then carefully remove pie weights and parchment.
- Continue baking until the crust is golden, 10 minutes longer.
- Lightly brush the inside with lightly-whisked reserved egg white (you won’t need all of it) and continue baking for about 5 minutes more, until white is set shiny.
- Gently transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in the tart pan.
Construct the tart:
- When crust and lime curd are both cool, pour the curd into the crust and top with kiwi slices.