Where I’ve been, in alphabetical order. UNDER CONSTRUCTION
States visited: 30/51 (actually visited, including DC - driving through and airports do not count)
National parks visited: 10/63
Includes: Minerva, Lake Placed Visits: 2020, 2021
Minerva is a super cute little town, and a great place to stay when visiting during the fall.
- climbing Mount Marcy and exploring the High Peaks Wilderness
- hanging out at the lakes, kayaking, swimming, etc.
- xc skiing and snow-shoeing
- walking out oon Mirror Lake
Visit: 2021 Includes: Brevard
I was in Brevard for a wedding, but had a chance to check out the town.
- Moog Museum
- kayaking the French Broad - more like a lazy river than anything
- watching the sun rise over the mountains
Visit: 9 days, November 2021
Quick notes: Like Lexington, but if they turned everything way up to 11 and didn’t make any changes to the underlying infrastructure. I stayed in South Austin, which was nice, but due to my lack of a car, it might have been better to stay closer to the city center and north of the river.
- Looking down Congress Ave to see the pink limestone state capitol building, even though they pass tons of awful laws there
- Electric Church (rad psych rock indoor/outdoor venue I heard about from my Lyft driver) + De Nada Cantina (a nearby spot with excellent chips ‘n queso)
A cute little artist town, down by the border. It has a nice little main street, where I purchased some Buddha-shaped candles. I was there to participate in a binational art project called the Naco-Bisbee Mural Project.
I’ve been to Chicago a few times, including twice in 2021, thrice in 2016, and once in 2014.
This time I went to Pitchfork and saw two bands I was looking forward to. Animal Collective kind-of stunk, but Yaeji ttotally blew me away.
Visits: 2016, 2018, 2021
Includes: Berkeley, Casto Valley, Oakland Visit: 2021
- Redux Books (and Argos nextdoor)
- Bitter End (coffee shop w/ great vibe)
- Fulton Street Bar and Grill (try their vegan breakfast sandy at Sunday brunch)
Includes: Beacon, Cold Springs, Poughkeepsie Visits: numerous from 2018-2021
Includes: Carmel, Fishers
Residence: 2012-2017 Visits: 2018, 2021
Residence: 2017-2018 Visits: 2014, 2015, 2019
Quick notes: I went with my friend on a cold, rainy day in the off-season. We were pretty much soaked through, but we had the island pretty much to ourselves.
After trying to avoid the horse sh*t and brownish, melting ice-slush, we went up to see Arch Rock, Fort Holmes, and Skull Cave. Then we tried to dry off a bit at the Mustang Lounge before taking the noon-thirty ferry back to the mainland, where we then drove home through a blizzard. Good times.
Visits: 2016, 2021
The endless hallways of the Minneapolis skyway system - feels like an open world video game. There should be an action movie filmed there - if there isn’t one already.
Incredible weather, beautiful beaches. No wonder all the rich people live there. Felt less like Big Little Lies than I expected.
New York City
Residence: 2018-2021, 2022- Visits: 2017, 2021
see New York City
The Mission was cool.
- that one bar (will add later)
Visits: 2015, 2021
The (Great) Smoky Mountains
Includes: Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smokey Mountains National Park
- Point Reyes National Seashore
- Got to see Thundercat and Herbie Hancock live in Napa Valley. It was an outdoor councert and they turned hi down at 10pm sharp!!
Visits: 2013, 2014
- City Museum
- botanical gardens
- Sleeping Bear Dunes
- free samples at Cherry Republic
- xc skiing at Hickory Hills
- eating premade frosty the snowman sugar cookies while watching the GBBO holiday special
Includes: Burlington, Montpelier, Waterbury Visit: 2019
I wish I could have spent more time here! But I greatly enjoyed exploring the valley and hiking up to the top of Half Dome.