Big Bowl 1:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (can replace with 1 cup chickpea flour and 1/2 cup white rice flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Smaller (but not tiny) Bowl 2:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (I’ve also used European-style cultured vegan butter)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, ginger, cardamom, salt, allspice, and black pepper; stir with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand-held mixer on low speed just until combined. Mix in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.
- Add all of the butter mixture to the flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Roll into 1.5-2 tbsp balls - slightly taller instead of perfectly round - and place on two cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges. The cookies will appear underdone and very soft. Cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
modified from source